Intimate Conversation with Vanessa Miller

0
Intimate Conversation with Vanessa Miller

Vanessa Miller is a best-selling author, playwright, and motivational speaker. She started writing as a child, spending countless hours either reading or writing poetry, short stories, stage plays and novels. Vanessa’s creative endeavors took on new meaning in1994 when she became a Christian. Since then, her writing has been centered on themes of redemption, often focusing on characters facing multi-dimensional struggles.

Vanessa’s novels have received rave reviews, with several appearing on Essence Magazine’s Bestseller’s List. Miller’s work has receiving numerous awards, including “Best Christian Fiction Mahogany Award” and the “Red Rose Award for Excellence in Christian Fiction.”  Miller graduated from Capital University with a degree in Organizational Communication. She is an ordained “exhorter” in her church, explaining, “God has called me to exhort readers and to help them rediscover their place with the Lord.”

Read an Excerpt from A Love for Tomorrow.

BPM: Vanessa, what makes you powerful as a person and a writer? Who are your mentors?
The thing that makes me powerful as a person and a writer is my faith in God. I feel as if I have found this pot of gold that everyone is searching for, and I just want to share it with the world. I really don’t have any mentors at the moment. But I study authors, attended conferences and read and study this industry.

BPM: Tell us about your passion for writing. Why do you write? What drives you? What impact do you want your book to make on the readers?
I have been writing since I was a kid. I have always known that I would one day be a writer. However, as a child and even while in my twenties, I didn’t know how to make my dream of writing come true. It was after I dedicated my life to the Lord that I began to research this business. Because I then knew that I really had something to say. So, the reason I write is to tell the story about midnight sorrows and morning glory… and the glory comes from knowing Jesus. My characters don’t always start off with this knowledge of Jesus, because I write redemption stories. The impact I’d like my books to have on my readers would simple be that my books help them to rediscover their place with God.

BPM: Finish this sentence- My writing offers the following legacy to future readers...
My writing offers the legacy of hope, healing and faith to my readers. I write stories about people with issues… issues that can be healed through trust in Jesus.

BPM: Introduce us to your latest Christian Romance novel,  A Love for Tomorrow.
Christian talk show host Serenity Williams may be at the top of her game professionally, but when her fiancĂ© calls off their wedding, she learns the true price of fame. He can’t deal with her popularity, and when he walks out, she knows it will be a long time before she lets another pride-filled pastor into her heart. Then she gets assigned an interview with the charismatic Pastor Phillip McKnight. Delighted that she now has the opportunity to expose the arrogance of ego-driven pastors to the world, she isn’t prepared for the real man behind the pulpit. Recently divorced, Phillip is broken from his experiences, and soon his surprising humility causes Serenity not to want to ruin him, but instead to un-break his heart....

A Love for Tomorrow deals with trust issues. It is also a book that explores the benefits of forgiving and rediscovering faith in God. Along the way I add in a love story that is sure to touch the reader’s heart.

BPM: What specific situation or revelation prompted you to write your book?
I wanted to write a series on women in ministry to highlight their accomplishments and show that they are very much human and have feeling and love interests. The reason I am so interested in this topic is because the bishop of my church is a woman and I have met other women in ministry that struggle with the fact that many people still don’t believe that women should preach.

BPM: Take us inside A Love for Tomorrow. What are two major events taking place?
The first major event happens at the beginning of the book. Serenity’s finance’ breaks her heart by calling off the wedding simply because her talk show has made her more popular than he. She decides at that point that preachers are off limits and lumps them all in the same boat with her ex. But then she meet Pastor Phillip McKnight… and he isn’t what she expected…  The next major event occurs when has to deal with her trust issues in order to move on with live and love.

BPM: Who are your favorite characters? Are your characters from the portrayal of real people?
Serenity was my favorite character in this book and the entire series thus far, because I really identified with her. Serenity Williams has been hurt by church people and one particular ego-driven pastor. She vows that she will never let another ego-driven pastor into her heart. But when she meets Pastor Phillip McKnight… she comes in contact with the very man who will help her rediscover her trust in humanity and faith in God.

Some times in life you can be hurt so much that you just refuse to be hurt again… and you build walls. This book shows the reader how to tear down those walls… with the help of God and one really good man.

BPM: Who do you want to reach with your book and the message within?
Anyone who has ever experienced heartbreak and then put up a wall to defend against it ever happening again. I want those people to know that with God in their heart, it is okay to trust and to love again.

BPM: How will reading your book shape the readers lives?
My hope is that reading A Love for Tomorrow will provide readers with answers as to how they can forgive and learn to trust again.  A CBA Retailers Reviewer recently said that… Trust, Forgiveness and faith were at the core of my message in A Love for Tomorrow. I would have to agree with her.

BPM: What are some of the other specific issues or problems addressed in this book?
I also deal with the issue of  "church hurt" in this book. Serenity has grown up in church… and she has seen Christian act not so Christianly at times, and therefore, although she wants to serve God, she wants nothing to do with His people.

BPM: What was the most powerful chapter in the book?
Some of my readers have told me that Chapter 23, when Serenity comes to terms with her trust issues and Chapter 24, the chase scene, when Phillip gets his woman are the most powerful scenes in the book.

BPM: What do you think makes your book different from others on the same subject?
This particular series is Christian Romance. So, I think what makes my romances different from others is simply what a CBA Reviewer had to say about A Love for Tomorrow… it’s good romance that ministers.

BPM: Share with us your latest news, awards or upcoming book releases.
A Love for Tomorrow – #1 on the BCNN/BCBC Bestseller List for September
Long Time Coming – Winner of the ACFW Book of the Month for December 2010

Other book releases:
Long Time Coming – November 2010
A Promise of Forever Love (sequel to A Love for Tomorrow) – April 2011

BPM: How can our readers reach you online?
Website: http://www.vanessamiller.com/
Twitter: www.twitter.com/vanessamiller01
Facebook: www.facebook.com/vanessamiller01

0 comments:

Please share your thoughts and comments. Weekly drawings from comments. Leave your email address and comments to enter drawings.